Sedation Therapy for Maximum Patient Comfort
Visiting the dentist is not typically at the top of the list in terms of favorite things to do. For dental phobic patients, a dental appointment is far worse, eliciting a strong sense of worry. In fact, this anxiety can be so strong that dental phobic patients may forego dental treatment for years, leading to compounding oral health problems. Fortunately, there is an option that permits dental phobic patients to receive the dental therapies they need. John Crisler, DDS, MAGD offers sedation dentistry at his Rio Rancho, NM, practice. Patients undergoing extensive procedures, such as dental implant surgery, can also benefit from our sedation options, ensuring peace of mind while in the dentist’s chair.
Sedation Dentistry Options
Dr. John Crisler is dedicated to delivering the finest patient experiences, ensuring that you feel at ease during your treatment and are satisfied with your results. To meet our patient’s needs we offer two types of sedation:
- Nitrous oxide: This inhaled sedation is sometimes known as laughing gas. It is comfortably administered through a mask that you wear over your mouth and nose. It will continuously provide the exact amount of medication you need throughout treatment, while still allowing you to speak, answer questions, and follow instructions. The effects of nitrous oxide wear off quickly, allowing patients to drive themselves home once treatment is complete.
- Oral sedatives: These prescription pills may be taken the night before treatment, or 30 minutes to one hour prior to your procedure, depending on the medication and your specific needs. When the sedatives take effect, they make patients feel drowsy. This sleepiness and low-level of alertness can last for hours, so patients should arrange for transportation to take them home safely.
Can Sedation Therapy Help Me?
Patients apprehensive about going to the dentist for a surgical procedure or those terrified at the thought of walking through the door of a dental office may benefit from sedation. This relaxing approach to dentistry may be right for you if:
- You experience moderate to severe dental anxiety
- You are undergoing an extensive procedure, such as dental implants
- You are scared of needles, drills, and other dental instruments
- You have gums and teeth that are extremely sensitive
- You do not respond well to conventional numbing techniques
- You have avoided the dentist for years because of dental anxiety
Sedation Dentistry Advantages
Dental phobia is a common condition, but one that can lead to severe dental issues. Avoiding dental checkups and treatment will eventually have serious negative consequences on your oral health. Missing biannual professional cleanings and exams means increasing your risk of developing infections.
Sedation therapy allows dental phobic patients to receive the treatment they need, at a huge savings of time, discomfort, and money.
Dental conditions that are not corrected in their early stages will only worsen. These issues can cause teeth to succumb to decay, eventually leading to tooth loss and changes in bite patterns. The pain associated with extensive decay can become unbearable, eventually leading to extensive dental treatment to relieve discomfort and achieve basic oral function. The cost to rehabilitate poor oral health can end up being very expensive.
Sedation therapy allows dental phobic patients to receive the treatment they need, at a huge savings of time, discomfort, and money. Patients who are not dental phobic, but undergoing extensive surgery, can enjoy a faster, more comfortable experience when under sedation for improved treatment results.
Contact Our Practice Today
Contact our practice today to find out how sedation dentistry can make your time with us optimally comfortable, allowing you to receive dental therapy that improves your oral health. Dr. John Crisler and his staff will be more than happy to discuss your sedation dentistry options with you.
"Dr. Crisler is exceptional. He is thorough, meticulous, compassionate, and his level of surgical skill makes him an artist. His excellent staff is very friendly, gentle, and contributes greatly to Dr. Crisler's relaxed care. Outstanding dental group. I am extremely happy."Happy Patient